Sharing a bit about my journey to consuming much less alcohol and suggestions for lowering your alcohol consumption if that’s one in all your objectives.
Hello associates! How’s the week going thus far? I hope you’re having an excellent morning thus far! I’m right here engaged on content material for our 6-week group – ALL of the data might be posted right here subsequent Tuesday, so mark your calendars!
For right now’s submit, I wished to speak a bit about alcohol and a few of the issues I’ve executed to scale back my alcohol consumption over time.
My journey to consuming much less alcohol
Let’s take somewhat stroll into the previous and my historical past with alcohol:
– I’ve by no means actually been somebody to *overdo* it on alcohol. Whereas I’ve positively had my moments (in school largely lol) of overdoing it, I by no means blacked out or did issues i might later remorse due to impaired decision-making talents, thank goodness. Whereas I’ve solely drank what I contemplate to be an excessive amount of on just a few events, I continuously had 1-2 glasses of wine or cocktails all through the week.
– I realized that “an excessive amount of” means various things for various individuals. Whereas I wasn’t getting tipsy always, there have been instances (years?) that I had some kind of wine or cocktail each.single.day.
– Once we lived in San Diego, it was not unusual for us to drink a bottle of wine each evening. Whereas it felt fully regular and like part of life, I noticed that it was an excessive amount of and wished to chop again. (PS consuming a bottle each evening will get costly, too!)
(Caro approves of my deacons to chop again. )
Among the fundamental the explanation why I selected to scale back my alcohol consumption:
– Each.time I drank multiple cocktail or one glass of wine, I slept terribly and wakened feeling exhausted the following morning. It actually sucks to start out your day on such a low-energy observe, particularly if you’re chasing after children all day. I noticed that I felt so a lot better within the morning after I skipped wine the evening earlier than.
– I noticed that it turned a behavior greater than an enjoyment or pleasure. Consuming wine turned one thing I did every day, not one thing I actually loved. Like all behavior, it took some time to interrupt, and it was value it.
– For well being. I had a gallbladder scare just a few years in the past and seems that your liver and gallbladder (BFFs) hate alcohol. It was an excellent wake-up name to watch my consumption and attempt to cut back it. Your physique views alcohol as poison and can pause different processes in an effort to attempt to remove the toxin. It processes alcohol totally in another way than meals.
Alcohol inhibits deep sleep, as your physique works to course of the alcohol as you sleep. It will increase your temperature and resting coronary heart charge, and in addition impacts your insulin sensitivity. Carrying my Oura ring and the Nutrisense CGM have offered helpful perception as to how alcohol (particularly after 7-8pm) impacts my physique.
– For physique composition causes. After I diminished my alcohol consumption (along with some vitamin adjustments I’ve remodeled time), I observed a distinction in physique composition. I felt much less bloated and puffy after I wakened, and in addition like I may lastly see a few of the muscle I’d been attempting to construct.
What about social consuming?
This was an enormous contributor to common cocktails, and in addition as an introvert, I LIKE the nice and cozy and fuzzy feeling from a glass of wine as I chat with individuals I don’t know very properly. I really feel prefer it completely takes off the sting, and makes it simpler for me to have interaction with everybody in a social setting.
Truthfully, I needed to recover from it.
I needed to inform myself I didn’t *want* alcohol to speak with new associates at events, and it’s true. I don’t want it to really feel snug in social conditions or to have an excellent time.
I additionally questioned if anybody would say something after I selected water as an alternative of a cocktail, and nobody has stated a phrase. On the Pilot’s squadron Christmas occasion, I drank water with a lemon and nobody cared. There are different ways in which I’ve labored on my social nervousness, particularly with meditation, hanging out with smaller teams of individuals, and somewhat CBD right here and there.
Did I give up alcohol totally?
No! I nonetheless love a margarita or a glass of wine 1-2 instances every week, however that’s it. Some weeks I’ve zero alcohol, and a few weeks I’ve one drink 1-2 nights per week, totally realizing that I received’t sleep as properly or have as a lot vitality within the am. I’ve simply labored to scale back my consumption over time and I really feel like dancing within the center (as an alternative an all or nothing mentality) has labored properly for me.
Suggestions for lowering alcohol consumption:
Listed here are a few of the suggestions which have helped me! Please know that I’m not licensed in ANYTHING associated to this and I’m simply sharing my expertise. Should you’re battling alcoholism, please please get the assistance and assist that you just deserve. There are a number of sources right here.
– Drink one thing else that you just get pleasure from. Kombucha and scorching natural tea are pretty substitutes. I additionally loooooooove the Organifi Gold or Concord (use the code FITNESSISTA) blended with heat almond milk, a giant glass of water (I intention for round 100 oz per day), LMNT electrolytes, or a large smoothie.
– Strive a mocktail. A bartender could make a beautiful mocktail in case you inform them what taste notes you get pleasure from or how candy you’d prefer it to be. There are additionally so many variations you should purchase at grocery shops and on-line choices for alcohol-free wine and spirits (regardless that I’ve but to attempt any of those).
– Drink half. As an alternative of getting a full glass, attempt consuming half as an alternative. I’ll order wine generally after we go to eating places, and can solely drink a 3rd or so of it (and realize it doesn’t go to waste as a result of the Pilot will end it as an alternative of getting a second drink).
– Cut back consumption over time. Like with something, full deprivation can backfire and result in overindulgence later. It was useful for me to be aware and step by step cut back my consumption. I decreased the times I had alcohol every week till ultimately I received all the way down to 1-2. Now when I’ve it, I make certain to take my time and luxuriate in it.
So inform me, associates: how usually do you drink alcohol? What’s your very favourite drink?
Hope you have got an exquisite morning and I’ll see ya tomorrow with a recipe!