There are quite a few festivals which have graced our land, nonetheless, there are a couple of that maintain cultural significance and add to its splendour. The importance of agriculture has all the time been a jewel within the crown for India. Honouring the roots, the whole nation comes collectively in January to have fun the abundance and prosperity introduced by the brand new harvest season.
Each area of India celebrates this and welcomes the brand new harvest yr with nice pleasure. Punjab and Haryana have fun Lohri within the north. West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra worships the solar god on Makar Sankranti. Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry have fun Pongal, Gujrat observes Uttarayan and Bihu is well known in Assam. So, this has each a non secular in addition to cultural relevance. Although having completely different names the spirit stays the identical throughout the nation.
This pageant additionally marks the top of winter and the onset of spring which gives numerous seasonal produces which can be recent, wholesome and optimum for consumption. From inexperienced leafy greens to vibrant fruits, grains and legumes, this season provides some wealthy finds which can be additionally added to the delicacies of the harvest pageant. Let’s make a journey round India and discover the importance of seasonal consuming, its well being advantages. Additionally, we’d absolutely be taking a spoonful of all of the delicious meals historically ready for this pageant.
We now have typically heard nutritionists speak about a rainbow eating regimen that ideally consists of vegetables and fruit of assorted colors which can be a part of the seasonal produce. Seasonal consuming refers to consuming the precise seasonal meals at the moment of the yr when it’s harvested. The purpose is to learn from these recent meals which can be at their greatest style and supply quite a few phytonutrients. This enriches the thoughts and physique with superb dietary advantages and combats illnesses.
Why is Consuming Seasonal Necessary?
The idea of consuming seasonal comes from the truth that seasonal meals are stuffed with tons of vitamins and micronutrients that assist the physique to adapt to weather conditions and stop its respective illnesses. January is the time for flu and fever the place your immunity will get compromised. The chilly winter additionally causes vitamin D deficiencies and illnesses like arthritis. Thus, seasonal vegetables and fruit are required to fulfil the requirement of the time.
Seasonal meals additionally style higher than the saved and frozen meals accessible out there. The pure, newly harvested produce are sweeter, backyard recent, unprocessed and enhances the flavour of cooked meals.
Since seasonal meals don’t require storage and transportation, they’re reasonably priced. They’re picked up from native, close by locations and bought at markets. These make them not simply wholesome but additionally cheap than their packaged options.
Additionally, by consuming seasonal, you’re serving to and supporting the native farmers. Saving the surroundings from pointless air pollution brought on by transportation and refrigeration.
Well being Advantages of Consuming Seasonal
Winter diet is all about citrus and inexperienced leafy greens. Let’s check out the well being advantages that the brand new harvest meals present.
- Loaded with Antioxidants- There are greens like spinach and carrots which can be wealthy in antioxidants. Whereas spinach has lutein and zeaxanthin in abundance, carrots comprise carotenoids and anthocyanins that assist to neutralize the dangerous free radicals in our our bodies.
- Supply of Vitamin C- Vitamin C is an important nutrient that’s wanted for the physique for the expansion and restore the tissues. January is a perfect time to eat fruits like oranges, kiwi and berries to keep up the extent of vitamin c within the physique and keep away from colds and flu that assaults the immune system of the physique.
- Supply of Vitamin D– Winters make you curl up your blanket and keep inside. Thus, it might decrease the pure vitamin D within the type of daylight and trigger deficiencies. Mushrooms and oranges are meals which can be winter produce and are loaded with vitamin D properties.
- Improves Cardiovascular Well being– Candy potatoes are potassium-rich greens and mustard are January finds and contribute to coronary heart well being. These additionally cut back the chance of cardiovascular illnesses.
Harvest Produces in January and their Dietary Worth
Fruits (100 grams)
- Dates: Dates comprise 277 kcal, 74.97 g of carbohydrates, 1.81 g of protein, 0.15 g of fat and 6.7 g of fibre.
- Kiwi: This candy unique fruit incorporates 61 kcal, 0.5 g fats, 3 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrates, 9 g sugar, 3g dietary fibre and 1.1g protein.
- Oranges: Oranges may be known as a superfood with its large advantages. One massive orange incorporates 88 kcal, 1.3 g of protein, 20.1 g of carbohydrates, 0.4 g of fat and a pair of g of fibre.
- Grapes: This excessive water content material fruit has 69 kcal, 0.2 g of fat, 16.5 g of carbs, 1 g of fibre and 0.5 g of protein.
- Chikoo: Although having a excessive GI rating, chikoo has different dietary worth. 100 g of chikoo incorporates 98 kcal, 0.7 g of protein, 21.4 g of carbohydrates, 1.1 g of fat and 10.9 g of fibre.
Greens (100 grams)
- Spinach: Iron-rich meals that has 26 kcal, 2 g of protein, 2.9 g of carbohydrates, 0.7 g of fat and a pair of.5 g of fibre.
- Radish: 100 grams of radish incorporates 17 kcal, 0.7 g of protein, 3.4 g of carbohydrates, 0.1 g of fat and 1.6 g of fibre.
- Carrot: Carrot incorporates 48 kcal, 0.9 g of protein, 10.6 g of carbohydrates, 0.2 g of fat and 4.4 g of fibre
- Candy Potato: This vegetable has a wonderful quantity of carotene that advantages eye well being. It has 86 kcal, 1.6 g of protein, 20.1 g of carbohydrates, 0.1 g of fats and three g of fibre.
Fashionable Harvest Recipes
- Sarson Da Saag
A well-liked recipe from Punjab and a delicacy for Lohri, sarson da saag incorporates all that’s wanted to fulfil one’s dietary requirement.
- 1 bunch mustard leaves
- ½ bunch spinach
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 inch ginger (chopped)
- 1 ¼ onion (chopped)
- 4 chilli
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- A pinch hing / asafoetida
- Firstly, wash and finely chop 1 bunch of mustard leaves and ½ bunch of spinach.
- Put the chopped leaves in a stress cooker together with 2 cloves of garlic, 1-inch ginger, ¼ onion, 2 chilli and ½ tsp salt.
- Now add 1 cup water and stress cook dinner for 4 whistles.
- Then, mash till coarsely floor.
- Subsequent, add 2 tbsp. of cornmeal and blend effectively.
- Prepare dinner for five minutes or till the combination thickens. hold apart.
- Now in a big pan, warmth 2 tbsp. ghee, and sauté 2 cloves of garlic, 1-inch ginger and 1 inexperienced chilli.
- Subsequent, sauté 1 onion till it turns golden brown.
- Add in cooked and mashed leaves and blend effectively and proceed to cook dinner for 4-5 minutes
- Lastly, take pleasure in sarson da saag with makki di roti or with chapati.
2. Til Laddu
A well-known wholesome candy for Bihar, Jharkhand and a favorite throughout Makar Sankranti.
- Sesame Seeds/ Til- 1 ¼ cup
- Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Jaggery- 1 ¼ cup (chopped into items)
- Peanuts- ¼ cup (roasted and chopped)
- Cardamom Powder- ½ tsp
- Dry roast the components separately on medium-low warmth stirring incessantly
- Enable the roasted components to chill down earlier than processing
- Grate the jaggery or break it into small items utilizing a pestle
- Merely pulse 1 to 2 components at a time and grind all the pieces in a number of batches
- Therapeutic massage the ultimate combination effectively to assist launch the oils from the sesame seeds and peanuts which can assist bind the ladoo
3. Candy Pongal
A must have throughout Pongal, candy pongal is an ideal steadiness of wealthy and candy.
- Rice – ½ cup
- Moong dal / paasi paruppu- ¼ cup
- Jaggery -1 cup grated
- Cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
- Raisins- 2 to three tbsps
- Cardamom- 4 pods
- Ghee- ¼ cup
- Dry roast rice and dal individually till it’s scorching to the touch
- Strain cook dinner rice and dal along with 2 1/2 cups water. Mash effectively and hold apart (for brand new rice, add solely 2 cups water)
- Warmth 1/4 cup water in a pan and add jaggery to it. When it dissolves, pressure it to take away any impurities
- Boil jaggery water with one teaspoon of ghee on medium warmth. Take a cup of water, add a tsp of jaggery syrup to it. If it doesn’t dissolve then it’s the proper stage so as to add mashed rice and dal
- Add mashed rice, dal combination and cook dinner for a couple of minutes till all the pieces will get blended. Add cardamom powder at this stage.
- Fry cashew nuts in a teaspoon of ghee. Take away from the pan and add to the rice dal combination.
- Add the remainder of the ghee and fry raisins till they puff up and add it to the rice dal combination together with ghee
- Prepare dinner for a couple of minutes on low warmth till all the pieces will get blended effectively. serve scorching.
Among the many festivities stuffed with enjoyable and laughter, don’t forget to maintain your self wholesome and protected. We at HealthifyMe additionally want you good well being and a really affluent harvest pageant.